Translate

Friday, January 11, 2013

One Word. One Thing. Faith-book 2013 Week 2

I decided that between "Sculpt" and "Carve" my one word for this year is going to be "Carve"
Melanie over at "Only a Breath" designed my "button" for my One Word. I think it's beautiful! She was so gracious and quick about it too!


I chose "Carve" over "Sculpt" because when I think of "Sculpt" I think of something intentionally, lovingly and carefully done, much of the original material has been carefully sanded away to create an entirely new shape. Most sculptors begin their work in clay. Clay tends to be easily malleable and can be smushed back into it's original lump shape if it is not forming correctly. If it dries out and becomes crumbly, you add water to it to restore it to it's usable form. Once the sculptor finishes their clay study, they then begin the careful process of creating the marble version.


Michelangelo said  "In every block of marble I see a statue as plain as though it stood before me, shaped and perfect in attitude and action. I have only to hew away the rough walls that imprison the lovely apparition to reveal it to the other eyes as mine see it....I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free."

What a glorious image of God! We're a big fat ugly rock, and before God starts chipping away at it, he already sees us, the person he has created us to be. The person in the clay. 

There is a theory that instead of being a wood carpenter, Christ was a stone mason. The theory stems from the fact that the land surrounding Nazareth is a little sparse in the tree department, and has a plethora of stone. So most household furniture and most structures were made of stone in that area.

God is my sculptor. Carefully molding the clay, tweaking here and there, pummeling me when I am being stubborn, and when I have reached His perfection for me, He starts the chipping and sanding process of setting my soul free!!!



Photo Courtesy of Victor Habbick


When I think of "Carve" I think of something that has a purpose, that requires discipline and care, but much of the original material and shape remains. I think of my carpentry skillz that are above par but not by any means fantastic.

As opposed to the perfect smoothness of marble, the finished product of a carving tends to be crude and primitive.

I am aware that no matter how much I work, without the refining work of God, though I may be a little more functional, maybe even a little more beautiful, I will still retain the shape of a wood plank.

Photo Courtesy of Sharon Marta
My word for 2013 is Carve, because instead of adding things to my life, or myself, I feel as though I need to take away things, and become deliberate about forming the patterns of my life. My mom asked me the other day how I intended on keeping things tidy. My response was, "Get rid of all the 'STUFF!'" I have so much superfluous "stuff" in my life. When I moved to Los Angeles I donated and threw out bags and bags of clothing and fully functional things. I couldn't fit them into my SUV so I had to get rid of them. Six months later, when I moved back home, I could barely fit everything into my SUV again! How did that happen in sixth months?! My favorite living conditions was when I stayed at a monastery retreat center for a week. I brought with me a few books, my bible, a journal, a small vase with a flower, a digital picture frame just enough clothes for the week, a tea cup..and that's about it. I felt like I was in heaven! No computers, no phones. Just me, my God and a cup of tea.

pAnd he said to them, “Take nothing for your journey, qno staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor money; and do not have two tunics.1 And whatever house you enter, stay there, and from there depart. 
Luke 9:3&4

35 And he said to them, i“When I sent you out with no moneybag or knapsack or sandals, did you lack anything?” They said, “Nothing.”
Luke 22:35

Earlier this week I wrote about my 30 days of tithing, and how, for me, not tithing is a demonstration of a lack of Faith. Is my amassing of "stuff" a lack of faith too? 

And then on the relational, mental, and spiritual side. What does it look like to deliberately carve out time in my day or my week, or my month to spend in quiet, to spend in fellowship with my family, friends, and the Lord? 

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:30


How much "stuff" can I "unload" to the salvation army, the church, charity's, others in need? And then the other question is-how do I determine what is good in my life, and what is a burden? One of my moving boxes to LA was labled "Lovely Things" It was a small box that contained my most dear treasures; pictures of my best friends, and my family, memento's of dearly loved family members who have since passed away. When I was deciding what I would keep and what I would give away I kept asking myself:
Do I need it?
Do I want it?
Is it lovely?

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Philippians 4:8 


What is your One Word for 2013? How is your faith book project coming along?



Grab button for reEducation of the Feminine Soul