Translate

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Just One Thing First 30 days: Tithing

Courtesy of Filip Ologeanu

On Friday I am going to introduce my One Word for 2013. Today, I would like to introduce my One Thing for the next 30 days. All of my One Things in 2013 will be related to my One Word.  I am choosing the topic of Financial for the next 30 days. (If you need a run down of the "Just One Thing" project click here.) My one thing in the next 30 days (and hopefully beyond) is to tithe 10% of all income that I earn - or is given to me.

I've been thinking about this a lot for the past year or so, and have become increasingly convicted that money is a problem in my life. I hate it, and yet I like to buy things with it. I hate the fact that I have to make it in order to sustain myself. I would much prefer a barter and trade system. Money stresses  me out more than anything. I have been working as a teacher, and my pay had been frozen since I began teaching, and I have went to a private college, so I have significant student loans I was hoping to be able to take care of as my pay scale went up. (Teacher incentive programs and education reform is a whole 'nother blog.) Without getting into too much detail, I quit my job six months ago, and really needed to rely on the Lord to provide for me day to day. He has done it time and time again, and yet I still haven't tithed, and I'm still worried about where the next $500 is going to come from so I can pay my bills. 

This past Sunday, like most churches I'm sure, we heard a sermon about tithing. At the end of the sermon I put all of the cash I had in my wallet in the collection plate. Let's just say I had almost 10% of the money I have in the bank in my wallet. For me, it was a significant chunk of money, for the first time I felt at peace about putting the money in the basket. God asks us to tithe. Not tithing, is telling God that I don't trust that He is going to provide for me.

My whole drive home from church I was praying that God wouldn't allow me to regret that money. Well, the next day I got a phone call about a second job interview that I have been really hoping for.

10 aBring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby bput me to the test, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open cthe windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need.  Malachi 3:10

I really would like to use the next 30 days to become acutely aware of God opening the windows.

Lord, I'm testing you. I know that you keep your promises.



Grab button for reEducation of the Feminine Soul